Tuesday, September 23, 2008

My weekend at Utsikten



My Weekend at Utsikten

I took a 7 hour bus ride to a place called Utsikten where i had a great weekend , i was on a leadership training seminar with Solveig. I must admit i had alot of fun, and i meet some wonderful people during this weekend. I also had my very first official scout camp fire, and was entertained by diffirent individuals with the vast talents. I still laugh when i think of one of the perfomances that were done around the campfire namely the lady imitating the man fishing, it was hilarious.I also assisted in making my first meal over the fire and it was divine, thanks to all the guys that were in my group for your assistance. I dont think it would have been right for an African to be present at such a gathering and not teach or spread the African spirit to others, so i found myself teaching people Shosholoza and akekho ofana noJesu. I must say Solveig was great help because she knew both the songs so i did not have to expose my weakness in singing. The wheather was stunning outside and i found myself just standing around in front of the sun and appreciating nature, and the beauty it carries.



The people i meet in Utsikten, which are from the region of Haugaland were the greatest people ever. I even recieved a gift from them, which were wollen wrist warmers. I did my HIV/AIDS presenation and recieved some great feedback from the participants who attended which made me very pleased because i was so nervous about doing that presenation. I wish i could list everyone by their names and thank them for their great hosipitality and openess to letting someone they did not know end up feeling like part of the team.





I got to learn a very fun card game called president with the help of some participants and enjoyed myself till midnight with them. I am really loving nature these days, i went to see a fontain around this place which is listed to be one of the most beautiful sites in Norway and indeed i was blown away. I have to say Norwegians are really in to chocolate, or should i say the ones i have come across so far and i am so scared of chocolate because i just think fat, but i have developed a massive sweet tooth and i am enjoying the Norwegian chocolate. So please send any Norwegian chocolate suggestions you might have and where i can find that specific chocolate. I hope everyone who was also at this weekend enjoyed themselves as much as i did, and it would be interesting for me to hear what their take was on the weekend. If they also have any comments ect.

Scouts: ''Always prepared''- this is the mentality i am going to take with me back to South Africa and is the mentality that keeps me going while i am here in Norway.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seems like you had a great weekend, indeed. I felt a little bit homesick when I was reading.. I miss the Norwegian nature, and I REALLY miss the chocolate. One of my favorites is 'Melkesjokolade med Daim', and you can get it in any grocery shop. I am a chocolate-addict.. And I just ran out of it the other day. But luckily my parents will send me some more. :D

Neliswa Hlombe said...

Hey Heidi's

I will be on the look out for that chocolate, i have written down. I cant believe your parents will be sending you more chocolate that is so funny. Is there any chocolate in Bangladesh or are you scared to even try it.

Gil Harper said...

Nelly, I am so proud of you! You say you are going to adopt the 'always prepared' motto - well I think you already have... this blog is marvelous and will keep us all feeling close to you and your adventures. Do tell us a little more about the 'work', but not at the expense of the 'African climbing mountains and indulging in chocolates'. Lots of love to you my sistah and please know that you are doing SA YMCA proud!

Birgitte said...

my favourite chocolates are "stratos" and "daim". i also read in a health magazine that "energy" is lower than other chocolates on the bad stuff, and it is really good too.aah norwegian chocolate!!!